Remote work has grown tremendously over the past decade. With the stress, expenditures, and transportation concerns, working from home has proven to be a suitable option for many individuals.
According to a 2022 State of remote work report by Buffer, 61% of employees describe a positive experience with remote work. The recent trends in remote working and technological developments have affected employee performance.
We will discuss how technology can negatively impact working remotely. Plus, this article will also focus on overcoming remote work challenges. Read on to find out more!
One of the biggest hurdles of working from home is that employees tend to lose focus. Now, this can affect the efficiency of a distributed team as a whole. As daily tasks become mundane, progress becomes hindered.
Distributed employment has a few setbacks. It is hard for team members to maintain consistency levels. Plus, people often mention the issue of burnout. Personal issues might add to the pressure. In addition, distractions such as children, and household chores, may sidetrack a person entirely.
Retaining productivity can be tricky for team leaders and managers.
- They can utilize the system of daily check-ins so that the employees value the importance of punctuality.
- There should be frequent calls
- Short goal-oriented video calls to keep the whole team well-informed
- Making a schedule can help compartmentalize daily tasks
- Take advantage of the tools that the company has provided
- The incorporation of breaks is integral if you want to maximize productivity
It has to be one of the most talked-about remote work challenges. A typical office environment has its perks. Occasional discussions, hanging out with colleagues, or simply advice from seniors – all these factors add to the experience.
We might be hesitant to mention remote work health problems. However, this does not mean they don’t exist! Working from home might lead to a sense of isolation for some. A Gensler Research Institute survey found that what respondents missed most about being in an office was the people.
Being away from co-workers can take a toll on an individual’s well-being. If this issue is not solved, employees might not be able to deliver their best performance. The limitations of technology and area may result in cabin fever.
Cabin fever is a sort of restlessness that comes from being stuck in one place. It can cause insomnia, irritability as well as oversleeping.
- Incorporation of monthly well-being programs
- Realizing that employees need a break from technology
- Shortening meetings
- Working close to nature is known to be therapeutic
- It can have a positive impact on a person’s mental health
- Set daily goals so that you don’t overburden yourself
- Change location of working once a week
Lack of communication
There can be points when the team feels entirely disconnected. If there isn’t a proper communication strategy, employees may feel confused about their assigned tasks. The online channel of communication is usually Zoom, Skype, etc.
When completing a project, the entire team must be on the same page. The absence of a communication strategy can lead to team errors. At some point, even video calls begin to feel monotonous. As a result, relationships with the client can become weak.
- Organizing networking events
- Sponsor employee meetups and lunches
- Use the “water cooler” concept to schedule meetings twice or thrice in a month
- Be more active when it comes to team participation
- Do not be afraid to ask questions
- Embrace morning meetings
While it is true that technology solves many problems, it also creates a lot of gaps. Remote work management challenges can also affect project output negatively. Therefore, it is necessary to keep everything balanced.
As more and more people take up work-from-home employment opportunities, businesses need to adapt quickly to these changes. At Gaper, managerial skills and employee well-being are considered extremely important.
It acts as a marketplace for the top software engineers from around the world. The clientele consists of startups and businesses. Therefore, working in an orderly manner is a big priority.