What is a hair transplant?
A hair transplant is a procedure to restore hair to an area of the head that might be thinning or balding. The hair for transplantation can be taken from other parts of the scalp or the body. They are then grafted on to the area on the scalp. Globally, around 60% of people suffer from balding or hair thinning in their lives. Tropical treatments like minoxidil (Rogaine) can be used as an over the counter medicine for such cases. However, a hair transplant is the final restoration method.
Do hair transplants work?
Hair transplants are better than over the counter medications available. Some factors to consider are –
- Around 10 to 80 percent of the transplanted hair fully grow back in about three to four months.
- Just like regular hair, the transplanted hair will also thin out over time.
- People with dormant hair follicles that do are devoid of hair roots can have some issues. They may have less effective transplants.
- Plasma therapy is an effective tool resulting in a better success after hair transplant.
- Hair transplants are not for everyone. Mainly these are used to restore hair after age-related balding or hair loss due to surgery.
How much do hair transplants cost?
Hair transplants can cost in the range of about $4,000 to $15,000 per treatment. The hair transplant cost in india suggests that the final cost of a hair transplant will depend on –
- The extent of the procedure
- Availability of surgeons in the area
- The experience of the surgeon
- The surgical technique that is chosen
Hair transplants are cosmetic procedures, and most of the insurance agencies don’t pay for them.
Is hair transplantation permanent?
The fact that hair transplantation is considered the permanent treatment for balding and hair thinning. During the surgery, the physicians use the patient’s own hair follicles to fill in the thinning or the balding areas. The transplanted hairs are resistant to the hormone that causes hair loss dihydrotestosterone (DHT) making hair transplant a permanent procedure. Because the transplanted hairs are hormone-resistant, they continue to grow even when the natural hair fall out or grow thin.
Do the transplanted hair look normal?
The most common doubt people have while planning to go for a hair transplant is that how normal will their hair look and feel. Fortunately, hair restoration has come a long way now. In fact, the surgical hair transplant happening nowadays is undetectable and completely natural looking. That next-generation hair-by-hair step restoration makes sure that the newly transplanted hair complements the natural hairline and facial features.
Is the procedure a difficult task?
A hair transplant is a simple day procedure. Usually, a single transplantation cycle is easily completed in a day. The patient can comfortably go home the same day. Mostly, the other tasks involved in a transplant are –
- Working with the patient to understand and design a natural-looking hairline.
- The facial shape and features, and age, is taken into account.
- Using hair of the correct textures.
The skill and the experience of the surgeon plays an important role in this complex procedure.
The procedure may take several hours to several days to complete, depending on the type and treatment plan decided.
This depends on the amount of work performed by the surgeon. After the surgery is done, the surgeon carefully removes the bandages. The area might be swollen, which is normal. The doctor might apply some topical cream to provide relief. The patient might feel some pain or soreness around the area of the transplant. To balance this, pain killers might be advised to the patient. For the next few days, the surgeon also prescribes – Rogaine to help stimulate the hair follicles.
Some aftercare tips for hair transplant surgery:
- Hair should not be washed for the first few days. If doing so, only mild shampoo has to be used.
- Normal activities can be resumed in about 3 days.
- Don’t use a brush or comb down for about 3 weeks.
- Don’t wear hats till the doctor says so.
- Don’t exercise for around a week.
If some hair does fall out after the transplant, it is also not a matter of worry. It is a part of the normal process.
Hair transplant side effects –
The most commonly noted side effect is scarring, and almost every case has it. This is mostly unavoidable. Other side effects may include:
- infections or pus drainage around the surgical sites
- scalp pain, itching, and swelling
- inflammation of hair follicles (folliculitis)
- losing the sensation around the surgical sites
- The transplanted areas sometimes don’t match the surrounding hair
The medicines given after a hair transplant might also have some side effects –
- irritated scalp
- Dizziness C
- chest pain
- Irregular heart rate
- hand, foot, or breast swelling
- sexual dysfunction