For people suffering from considerable hair loss or thinning of hair, hair transplantation is the most effective technique to restore natural growth. If you are unable to make up your mind regarding which technique to go for, this article is for you. Recent advancements in the cosmetic industry has made it possible to undergo this procedure without the fear of any discomfort or pain.
Which is the best method of a hair transplant?
Here is a table of comparison between the three most common techniques of hair transplantation- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Direct Hair Transplanting (DHI).
|Procedure||The doctor removes a patch of skin from the donor area and places it in the recipient site.||The doctor removes a patch of hair follicles from the donor area and implants in the recipient site.||The doctor implants the hair follicles directly in the bald area.|
|Shaving the head||The patient has to shave both the donor and receiving area||The patient has to shave both the donor and receiving area||The doctor removes a small part of the hair in the transplanted area.|
|Incisions or cuts||The doctor makes hole in the receiving area.||The doctor makes holes in the receiving area.||No cuts nor any incisions are required in the receiving area|
|Instrument used||The doctor uses a scalpel or suture to make holes||The doctor uses a scalpel or suture to make holes||The doctor uses a pen-like instrument called Choi|
|Success rate||Comparatively low than FUE and DHI as it is the oldest technique||Success rate is a little higher than FUT||The success rate of DHI is much higher than both FUT and FUE|
|Duration of procedure||The whole procedure takes 4-6 hours to complete||As individual hair follicles are implanted, it takes around 4-8 hours to complete||It takes more than 6-8 hours to complete in one-go. Therefore, these are divided into shorter sessions|
|Recovery||The patient recovers within 2-3 weeks||The patient recovers within 5-7 days||The patient can resume daily activities on the same day of the procedure.|
What happens during Direct Hair Implantation?
Direct hair implantation is a safe and easy procedure to undergo. It is a modified version of Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). Hence, it has an almost similar procedure. Here is a step-by-step guide of what to expect during the DHI procedure so that you are better prepared.
- First, the doctor shaves hair from where the hair is to be taken, also known as the donor area. Normally, the donor area is at the back of the head as hair tends to be more here.
- Next, local anesthesia is injected into the scalp by the surgeon. This is to make sure that the area to be transplanted is numb and during the whole procedure, the patient is unable to feel anything else other than a prick.
- Once the scalp loses its sensitivity, with the help of a special instrument- DHI Implanter- the doctors remove hair follicles without touching the hair grafts or the surrounding hair.
- After this, the hair follicles are processed into grafts for implantation. This whole procedure is completed in a clinical lab.
- The next step is a crucial step. The doctors implant the processed grafts in the Implanter (also known as Choi) again and then place them in the bald area directly into the scalp without damaging the nearby hair follicles.
- For a more natural-looking appearance, the doctors implant the follicles into the holes in the direction in which the patient wants their hair to grow.
- Last, the doctors apply antibiotics cream or moisturizer on the transplanted site and cover it with a bandage.
How to decide if DHI is for you or not?
In order to decide whether Direct Hair Implantation is a suitable option for you, make sure you fulfill the eligibility criteria. The most important candidature for hair transplantation- irrespective of any technique- is that you must keep realistic expectations. People fulfilling the criteria have experienced results better than others after the DHI method of hair transplantation.
- People suffering from androgenic alopecia are benefitted the most after direct hair implantation.
- People who have thicker hair are able to have better results than those whose hair follicles are thin. The explanation is that thicker hair covers the baldness more.
- People should be over 25 years of age to undergo direct hair implantation.
- People who have a lower hair density (less than 40 follicles per square centimeter) are not so benefitted from the procedure.
Why is DHI the best method for hair transplantation?
The doctor is the right person who can suggest if DHI is the best method for you or not. On the basis of the extent of baldness, the technology used and the skills and experience of the surgeon, the results of the Direct Hair Implantation varies. Several clinics in India such as Pristyn Care are utilizing the DHI technique over other methods for the several benefits it offers to patients-
- The procedure can be completed with far more precision and accuracy than Follicular Unit Extraction and Follicular Unit Transplantation.
- While the hair follicles are implanted into the scalp, none of the surrounding hair follicles are damaged.
- The patient can decide the direction of hair growth due to the usage of Choi pen during the procedure.
- As multiple sessions are conducted, each procedure takes less time to complete.
- There are no cuts nor any incisions, hence there are no visible scars nor there is any risk of infection.
- This is a painless procedure as it is performed under the influence of anesthesia.
- There is minimal bleeding and hence, the patient is able to recover faster after direct hair implantation.
The decision of the best method of hair transplantation for an individual should be made after proper consultation with an experienced surgeon. In general, the success rate of Direct Hair Implantation is quite high compared to other methods. Consult with a hair transplant specialist who can recommend if the technique is suitable for you.