Ayurveda is an intrinsic, holistic form of healing that has been prevalent for centuries. Be it infections, body pains, or other ailments, it’s not very hard to find an Ayurvedic cure for most ailments out there. Nasya treatment is an ayurvedic therapy that is used for targeting various problems affecting areas above the shoulder.
In this therapy, herbal extracts and Ayurvedic medicines are administered through the nasal cavity. It plays a very effective role in detoxification and is one of the five main detoxification therapies, also known as Panchakarma treatment. If carried out systematically, this treatment can work miracles in healing, pacifying migraines, sinusitis, breathing congestions, infections, and many other problems. Since the herbal extracts are absorbed by the blood vessels and reach the nervous system, they are said to also induce a calming effect of the nerves, regulating stress, anxiety, and sleep deprivation.
How is Nasya Treatment performed?
The procedure for this therapy is relatively hassle-free and does not consume too much time. Nasya treatment entails a simple procedure to stimulate nerve functions. The process will take roughly 30 minutes to follow.
A masseur will start the session from the shoulder and massage in an upward direction. Then, the required herbs are extracted according to the required dosage and are poured into the nostrils till the client inhales. As the client continues to inhale the medical extract, the masseur will continue massaging around the neck, nose, palms, feet, and shoulders.
When performing Nayasa, the following arrangements have to be made:
- A dedicated room free from dust and draft-free must be arranged. It should have a comfortable chair and a table.
- Appropriate oils or powders like Trikatu powder, Marichaydi oil, or Anu oil should be kept ready. There should be enough oil to last through the entire session.
- The ideal tool for administering Nasya Ayurvedic care should be ready. Snehana, Pratimarsha, and Avapeeda therapies require the use of a dropper to administer the herbs and oils. Pradhamana Nasyam, on the other hand, necessitates the use of a 10.5 cm long shaft.
- Ensure an assistant is around and prepare towels, tissues, spitting pots, bowls, and other materials that could be of need.
Nasya therapy acts on blockages in the nasal passage that obstruct the flow of prana to the body and head. The process prevents the clogging of the nasal passage and relieves congestion caused due to sinusitis.
Ayurvedic practitioners recommend massaging with lukewarm oil and regulate the quantity of oil used. Clients are advised to refrain from speaking, laughing, or even sneezing during the process. They are also asked to stay vigilant and avoid swallowing the herbal concoction. Since it is administered through the nose, it needs to be drained along with the mucous, removing any toxins and negative doshas with it. There might be some discomfort during the process, for which cold water can be sprinkled to the face avoiding the head. A cold, wet towel can be used to achieve the same soothing result.
When is The Therapy Performed?
Nasyam therapy is most effective for people with tainted Kapha dosha when performed in the morning. Experts recommend doing the therapy in the afternoon for tainted Pitta and in the evening for agitated Vata. During the winter, Nasyam therapy is performed at noon, and during the summer, it is practiced in the evening. It is done if there is sunshine on rainy days. Nasya therapy is used as a regular detoxification therapy in the spring and autumn seasons.
Nasya treatment is recommended twice a day in the morning and evening for conditions such as stiff neck, hiccups, hoarse speech, and irritated Kapha, according to Ayurveda. The Nasya care can be performed every two days, once a week, or every 21 days for other health issues. For the best results, seek the advice of an Ayurvedic health practitioner.
Benefits of Nasya
Detoxification of the body is something that should be carried out regularly. Nasya therapy has a lot of healing benefits for the body. The body had all the toxins flushed out, such as flushing out all the toxins accumulated in the throat, neck, and shoulders. Some of the benefits are:
- It treats headaches, migraines, and disorders like cervical spondylosis effectively.
- The immune system and the sensory organs are strengthened.
- Stimulates the brain centers that control emotions and reduces tension.
- Prevents premature greying by improving skin tone, hair health, and texture.
- Nasyam has been shown to improve brain function and can aid in the treatment of paralysis.
- Aids in the treatment of age-related conditions such as muscle and joint pain
- Treats nasal allergies and polyps by decluttering and soothing the nasal passage.
- Goiter, tonsillitis, and movement disorders are also prevented from taking this treatment.
- Assists in the relief of chronic pain.
- Insomnia can be cured.
There are many benefits, both mental and physical, that can be gained from regular Nasya treatment. It is a relaxing procedure that can help alleviate many illnesses and pains, cause healthy nerve regulation, and much more. Consult your Ayurvedic practitioner to know more about what type of Nasya treatment is good for you, how often you need it, and other questions you may have.