Manchester student apartments can be divided into two main categories depending on availability: on-campus accommodation and off-campus accommodation.

On-campus accommodation is student accommodation run by the university, while off-campus accommodation is private rented accommodation. Schools do not cover all student accommodation, and the proportion of students in accommodation generally accounts for only 10%-30%. The majority of students’ accommodation is solved through other channels, especially through the use of unused premises in the community, and renting private rented accommodation has become a major channel to solve the student accommodation problem.

There are several types of accommodation for students in the UK:

1. Student halls of residence. Organised and managed by universities. Almost all higher education institutions in the UK have purpose-built student halls of residence, usually located on campus, with some off-campus nearby. The principle of accommodation in UK HEIs is that priority is given to first year undergraduates, foreign students and first year postgraduates, with older students being accommodated if there is a surplus.

2. Application for accommodation. The UK has an application system for accommodation. The application process is generally that if a candidate is accepted by the university, the university will issue an offer letter and, if the candidate accepts the offer, the university will send the new student an accommodation application form and a brochure with instructions on accommodation. Local students who decide to live at home and those who have resolved their accommodation needs to indicate on the accommodation application form that they do not require accommodation from the school. Students who require accommodation will be asked to complete the application form and return it to the Accommodation Office within the specified time frame, which is September for the start of the new academic year in the UK and normally requires the application form to arrive by the end of August. Due to the limited number of accommodation places available, it is not possible to guarantee a place for all students who apply for accommodation. Places are allocated and arranged on a first-come, first-served basis. Once a place has been allocated, the University sends accommodation offers to new students, with notification sent to postgraduate students in July and August.

There are 3 types of Manchester student accommodation: (1) Single study room cum bedroom, with a sink, basic furniture and bedroom furniture, and a dormitory manager responsible for cleaning the building and laundry. Generally 68 single study rooms and bedrooms form a flat, and there are several flats in a building. Each flat shares a kitchen, dining room, shower and toilet. This is a self-catering dormitory and students are required to take care of their own meals. (2) A single study room and bedroom with a bathroom, with a shared kitchen and dining room in addition to a shower and bathroom. This is an apartment-type, self-catering dormitory. Because of the bathroom facilities, the rent is higher than for a single study room and bedroom. (3) Single-room dormitory building. These dormitories do not have a kitchen or dining room, but there is usually a small school cafeteria in these dormitories, which is convenient for students to eat in. (4) Two-bedroom dormitories. These dormitories are small in number and are only for a few married students or students with families or individual staff members. Most of them are self-catering dormitories, where students are responsible for their own meals.

In recent years, some universities in the UK have renovated some of their old dormitories and improved the design standards of new dormitories, so there is a tendency for student dormitories to be more comfortable and upscale.

4. The proportion of residential students. The proportion of on-campus students in accommodation is generally only 10%-30% of the total number of students, with some institutions having a higher proportion of 50%.

5. Length of stay. It is common practice in the UK to arrange accommodation for first year students for a maximum of one year before they are asked to move out of student accommodation and rent private rented accommodation off campus. The academic year in the UK is divided into 3 terms, with holidays including Christmas, Easter and the summer holidays, with 78 months being summer holidays, and each term has 1014 weeks of teaching time. If you wish to stay on campus during the holiday period, you will need to apply to move out of your previous accommodation and will be offered alternative accommodation. For a 39-week period, the summer holiday period is also not normally included. For 50 weeks, the duration of the stay includes 3 terms and 3 holidays.

6. Dormitory Management. There is normally a warden in each residence, who is a member of the faculty or administrative staff, and whose responsibilities are to receive applications for accommodation, to allocate and arrange places and to deal with other matters relating to accommodation. There are also a number of Residenttutorialstaff who are responsible for the day-to-day management, security and cleaning of the halls of residence.