Bariatric surgery is the other term for weight loss surgery. It includes a comprehensive range of procedures that incorporates less consumption of food and reduced appetite. It helps in improving the health of an individual who is obese. According to The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 40 percent of Americans are obese. This health condition is associated with various health risks. Bariatric surgery Orange County contributes towards improved lifestyle and reduces the health risks that can lead to early mortality.
Besides significant weight loss, Bariatric surgery can help in improving health status, longer lifespan, and quality of life. As per the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), obese individuals have a 15% -50% increased risk of death from various causes.
How can weight loss surgery in Orange County benefit you?
Bariatric surgery in combination with an extensive treatment plan can effectively help you or your loved one to maintain good health shedding off the extra body weight. There are various benefits of bariatric surgery:
- Lose weight –
Those individuals willing to undergo bariatric surgery can successfully attain major weight loss as it lessens their appetite and make them feel fuller. Approximately 90% of obese people are found to lose a maximum of 50% of their total body without any major risks.
- Lowers heart disease risks –
Those who are obese have a greater risk of suffering from heart disease. With subsequent weight loss, the risk of both stroke and heart disease can be greatly reduced.
- Weight loss reduces type 2 diabetes –
Obesity or being overweight increases the risk of preconditioning type 2 diabetes or its late-onset. However, adequate weight loss can lead to the remission of this health condition.
- Improvement in joint functioning –
Your extra body weight can insert a lot of pressure on your joints. Those who have undergone bariatric surgery are found to experience improved joint functioning and reduce chronic pain.
- Enhances fertility –
Among women, weight loss surgery helps in increasing their fertility rate.
- Relief from sleep apnea –
Obesity can aggravate sleep apnea. Maintaining a healthy body weight not only helps in decreasing the symptoms but also reduces the need for a CPAP machine.
- Eliminate other medical issues –
There are various pieces of evidence that suggest that significant weight loss can if not eliminate, diminish other medical health issues such as gallbladder disease, metabolic syndrome, and pregnancy-related complications.
- Improvement in psychological health –
Weight loss is beneficial for your overall health including your physical, social, and mental health. An individual who has lost a subsequent amount of weight is more likely to follow a positive way of life. They are able to overcome the feeling of depression and anxiety successfully.
Despite the fact that in comparison to the risk factors, the benefits of weight loss surgery are greater. Yet there are some things that you must bear in mind. An effective weight loss program requires commitment and willingness. Hence without following a proper diet and adequate lifestyle changes, you may not be able to successfully achieve your weight loss goal. At times, you might even end up regaining the lost weight. There are also some instances, where the need for rehospitalization due to nutritional deficiencies, ulcers, and other side effects may arise.
Types of weight loss surgery in Orange County
If you are looking for ways to lose weight then find the best weight loss surgery clinic near you. The best bariatric surgeons in Orange County can help you find a suitable weight loss program that is just right for you. On the basis of medical strategy, bariatric procedures may be classified into the following three categories:
- Blocking procedures
- Restrictive procedures
- Mixed procedures
Blocking procedures involve restricting the size of the stomach to reduce food intake. This procedure may be classified into the following:
- Biliopancreatic diversion – This procedure interferes with the function of the stomach and the small intestine. The main purpose is to reduce the size of the stomach to make you feel full sooner. It reduces the amount of calories you consume.
- Jejunoileal sleeve – This procedure bypass 90% of the small intestine to reduce calorie absorption.
- Endoluminal sleeve – This procedure is a non-surgical procedure. Through your mouth, the surgeon will insert a sleeve into your gastrointestinal tract.
This procedure is also somewhat similar to the blocking procedure. It reduces the size of the stomach so that you feel full even after eating less amount of food. This procedure may be categorized as:
- Gastric banding – This procedure is a quick procedure and is minimally invasive. The plus point is that it is reversible
- Stomach folding – As compared to other surgical options, this procedure is less expensive. It is a laparoscopic procedure and involves no incision. Hence the risk of complications due to malabsorption is low.
- Sleeve gastrectomy – Sleeve gastrectomy is a minimally invasive procedure and helps in reducing obesity-related health conditions.
The mixed procedures involve both blocking and restrictive procedures. In addition, it also involves the removal of hunger-regulating hormones to make you feel less hungry for a longer period of time. This procedure is classified into:
- Gastric bypass surgery – The benefit of this procedure is that it does not interfere with the natural digestive process. It also helps in reducing the risk of sleep apnea, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes. In terms of affordability and effectiveness, this is one of the best options. If you’re worried about the cost, there are several ways you can pay: insurance, personal loans, and self pay gastric bypass.
- Sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch – This procedure helps not only in weight loss but also addresses conditions related to infertility, blood pressure, heart disease, and stroke. The procedure involves the reduction of stomach size and intestine bypass.