The ways to fix your chipped tooth depend on the extent of the damage. Whether you feel no symptoms or considerable pain, visit your dentist at Dentakay to assess the situation and proper treatment.
What Causes Chipped Teeth?
Usually, chipped teeth do not cause pain except if the chip is large. Sometimes the chip may be significant, exposing the nerves in a tooth’s inner layer. This then leads to increased sensitivity and pain when chewing. There are several causes of chipped teeth, including;
- Accidents or hard falls
- Teeth grinding, especially during sleep
- Chewing hard foods or substances
- Sports injuries
Symptoms Of Chipped Tooth
You may not know you have a chipped tooth, especially if it is minor, not in front of your mouth, and does not cause you any pain. You can know if you have a chipped tooth when you experience;
- A jagged surface when running your tongue over your teeth
- Gum irritation around the chipped tooth
- Tongue irritation after running it over the tooth’s rough edge
- Tooth pain when biting
How Do Dentists Fix Chipped Teeth?
Dentists treat chipped teeth in several ways; the treatment they administer depends on the severity of the damage. Minor tooth chips may require a single visit to the dentist, while broken or damaged teeth may need a more expensive procedure. Some of the ways dentists treat chipped teeth include;
- Dental filling or bonding
A dental filling is suitable for treating minor tooth chips. Also, the dentist will use a tooth-colored composite resin to fix the damage if the damage is to a front tooth. Fortunately, the process is straightforward and doesn’t call for anaesthesia.
The dentist will etch the tooth surface during the procedure to improve bonding. Then the dentist adds an adhesive before bonding the resin. Afterwards, the dentist will shape the resin to match your natural tooth before hardening it with a curing light.
- Dental veneers
Veneers are a cosmetic treatment covering teeth imperfections. For example, if your front tooth is chipped, your dentist may prescribe veneers for a flawless smile. During a veneer procedure, your dentist will remove a bit of the tooth enamel before bonding the veneers to the front of your teeth.
The veneers are tooth-colored shells and bonded with a special bonding cement. After the bonding process, the dentist will harden it with a special light.
There are various veneer types using various materials, price, and results. You can discuss with your dentist to know the veneers that most suit you.
- Dental crowns
Dental crowns are suitable for more extensive tooth damage according to this Avon Lake OH dentist. When you visit a dentist for a crown, they will file away the remaining part of the chipped tooth and place a crown on it. The dental crown will protect your tooth, preserve its function, and improve its appearance.
If the damage to your tooth exposes your tooth pulp, you may develop an infection. In this case, your dentist must carry out a root canal treatment first before placing the crown.
There are different types of dental crowns. They vary in material, cost and results they achieve. The position of your chipped tooth also determines the dental crown that most suits you. When getting a dental crown procedure from your dentist , discuss the types available and the one that best suits you.
How Much Does It Cost To Fix A Chipped Tooth?
The cost of fixing a chipped tooth depends on the extent of damage and the type of treatment your dentist administers. If you have to get additional treatment, like a root canal, before fixing the chipped tooth, you will have to pay more.
Ways To Fix Your Chipped Tooth At Home
If you have a chipped tooth and can’t see your dentist immediately, you can follow the following steps to relieve the pain and prevent infection.
- Use an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen or acetaminophen to block the pain.
- Perform a salt water rinse to reduce the risk of infection
- Eat only soft foods. Don’t bite down on the damaged tooth.
- Cover the tooth with sugarfree gum or wax paraffin to protect your tongue and cheek from cuts
What Happens If You Don’t Fix Your Chipped Tooth?
When your tooth chips, it is essential to get prompt treatment. Otherwise, the broken tooth is exposed and susceptible to infection. And since oral health impacts overall health, the infection can move to the head and neck causing life-threatening problems.
How To Prevent Chipped Tooth
It is best to prevent tooth chipping. Here are some tips to help prevent tooth chips;
- Do not chew complex substances, including ice, bones, or hard candy. Complex substances can damage and break your teeth.
- Avoid using your teeth as a tool. Although your teeth are strong, they are not supposed to be used as tools to open something.
- Use a mouthguard if you have bruxism. Teeth clenching causes friction between teeth, wearing them down and causing chips. Your dentist can diagnose bruxism and prescribe a mouthguard to prevent clenching during sleep.
- Use a mouthguard during sports. Accidents can happen when playing contact sports, damaging your teeth.
- Be careful. Accidents like bumping into a wall or falling can chip your teeth.
Can A Chipped Tooth Heal Itself?
No. Although the pains from chipping your tooth may wear away, the tooth does not heal. Therefore, Visit a dentist as soon as possible for treatment to prevent the spread of infection.
Does Chipped Tooth Grow Back?
A chipped tooth occurs when a portion of the tooth is no longer there. Although this is a common dental problem, chipped teeth do not grow back. Instead, dental care is necessary for repair.
A chipped tooth can cause infections when not treated promptly. In addition, the state of your dental health affects your general health.. So, if you experience symptoms of a chipped tooth, visit your dentist immediately.
Reference Page: https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are-dental-veneers-1059373