Professional companies that provide testing and cybersecurity services have their own tools for use, which are as comfortable as possible to work with. It’s no surprise that IT professionals have their own preferences for pentest software and utilities. Having the right tools allows you to:
- boot virus scanning;
- detect of malicious hacks;
- mitigate hacker attacks.
While there are many high-quality tools that are necessary for a thorough security analysis, every company uses the ones those suit them and thereby speed up workflows. Therefore, the order of penetration testing services should only be carried out with competent experts who excellent know their business and are able to ensure the fulfillment of the client’s tasks without difficulties and long waiting times.
What is pentesting and what are the tools for?
Testing various software that has the so-called open-source code is a prerequisite in order to ensure the security of a web product. The services are used solely for the purpose of detecting defects, vulnerabilities and problems in IT systems. At the same time, penetration testing methods can be selected exclusively from two options – a manual method or an automated one.
In simple words, a pentester is able to completely imitate the processes that an attacker undertakes in order to “throw” holes in software security. When the protection in the software is too weak, there is a risk that a stranger (hacker) will be able to gain access to the information that is in the software.
As for the tools, with their help a pentester specialist can carry out:
- network scanning;
- network traffic analysis;
- processing of open sources;
- work with cracking passwords;
- functions related to attacks on Wi-Fi and MITM, etc.
In this case, the tools are divided into types that have their own specific features:
- Complex. They are more cross-platform, they automatically search for problems at the stage of creating a digital product and during its testing, they conduct an audit of software cybersecurity.
- Bruteforcers. They are multifunctional, because they are able to reveal passwords, help with cracking hashes, help with various types of enumeration (complete, hybrid and dictionaries).
- Other. We are talking about various network scanners, traffic analyzers and other tools that help to identify security problems in a particular software.
What security tools are worthy of attention of modern pentesters?
In fact, if we talk about the list of tools used by IT professionals, cybersecurity programmers, as well as hackers, then we should highlight just a few worthy of attention. The TOP 3 of the best include:
- “Nessus”. This is an innovative scanner that provides security. For ordinary users, a completely free version is available. The peculiarity is that when conducting a penetration test, the information will not be “sewn up” deep into the program. The information will be given to the specialist in the form of a plug-in. The flexibility of the scanner lies in the implementation of actions related to the graphical interface – ease and simplicity, convenience and comfort for the Nessus developers were in the first place. When conducting testing, one should not forget about the rules that the user sets himself. So, the system will function exclusively according to the given rules. As a result, the software is able to deactivate malicious plugins, scan services, move web servers, and much more.
- OpenVAS. This is a program that was made on the basis of the Nessus 2 engine. True, the project has become completely independent today. This scanner operates by performing its functions through the server. The interface is very convenient and fully accessible for programmers who know how to create an SSL certificate, a user to access the server, start the server using one of the menu items. In order for the pentester to start his test, he will need to launch the client part and connect directly to the server. The advantage of the software is its transparency and extensibility. The scanner analyzes device security, looks for vulnerable CGI scripts, scans ports, detects VPN nodes, identifies services, and much more.
- XSpider 7. This program was founded back in 1998. At that time, experienced programmers wrote the first lines of code for the software. This software is a scanner that helps security experts. Abovementioned software is of high quality, but still it is worth considering that you will have to pay for it. There is also a demo version, but only for testing for a small amount of time. This scanner is convenient and efficient, it identifies specific vulnerable nodes, examines malicious ports, detects heuristic algorithms, performs detailed configuration of a computer device, checks for weak passwords and detects them. The comfort of working with the software lies in the fact that all problems are presented to the IT specialist in the form of a readable report.
If it is necessary to carry out the pentesting process, then it is better to contact a company https://www.dataart.com/services/ux-ui-design-and-consulting-services, where everything will be done at a high level, for a reasonable fee and as soon as possible.