The hair conflict between human hair clip-in ponytails vs. synthetic ponytail extensions, is a hot topic. Most women prefer human hair extensions, while others go for synthetic hair extensions. But what if you are dipping your toes into the hair world for the first time? It can certainly be confusing with great reviews from both sides.
Human hair, in general, is superior to synthetic hair. It is a better investment for many reasons. Check out our easy guide to the fantastic realm of human vs. synthetic hair extensions to find out why human hair is truly superior to synthetic hair.
Key distinctions between a human and synthetic ponytail
Human hair clip-in ponytail extensions use multi-tonal technology to achieve ultra-natural hues. They are more frequently available in ashy tones that synthetic hair extensions are not, and they can be toned and colored to match your hair.
On the other hand, synthetic hair extensions are typically flat, single-toned, and unnaturally colored. They are frequently warm-toned tones with no ashiness that cannot be toned or dyed to match your hair.
In terms of the hair shade, it is a win for human drawstring ponytail extensions. You can dye human hair extensions, whereas you can’t dye synthetic hair extensions because it has already been bleached with capital B.
Human drawstring ponytail extensions are softer, silkier, and more moisturized than synthetic ponytails. Since these extensions are made of a natural protein, keratin, which is already present in our natural hair, they are gentler to the touch.
Since synthetic hair is not created from natural proteins, they have a rougher, dryer feel and do not retain moisture. As a result, they are significantly harsher and dryer to the touch. When synthetic hair is touched, it frequently clumps together.
Human hair drawstring ponytail extensions are far better than synthetic when it comes to hair texture. With a synthetic ponytail, you will spend more time making it look silky and soft than enjoying them.
3. The look and feel
Drawstring ponytail extensions are silky and soft. They appear healthy and have a natural luster. When installed, they are flexible and smooth like a feather. It is much easier to detangle by running a brush or your fingers through, allowing rapid and easy detangling.
Synthetic hair is noticeably less smooth and silky. They are frequently lackluster and appear unnatural. They are significantly less flexible than human hair and might feel stiff when worn or touched. They can be tough to detangle because they are difficult to run your fingers or a brush through.
If you prefer to spend more time rocking a ponytail and run your hand through the hair, go for human drawstring ponytail extensions.
4. The result
Not only is the installation effortless and quick, but human drawstring ponytails also look and feel natural because it is real hair. This hair is also less likely to tangle or mat. Synthetic hair can produce unnatural results and can be tough to match with your natural hair. It is also more prone to matting.
5. Styling Versatility
Human hair clip-in ponytail extensions can be heat styled the same way as your hair and withstand greater temperatures. These sets are better suited to curling and generating various styles.
Synthetic hair cannot be heat styled safely and frequently burn/melt at high temps because it is made of plastic fibers. These packages are far better suited to applying and achieving a single look without the need for styling.
6. Burn Test
If you want to determine whether you have a human or synthetic ponytail, you can do a burn test. Human hair burns slowly and produces little to no smoke. After being lighted, burned human hair will likewise quickly ash off. With black smoke, synthetic hair will burn significantly faster. The hair will melt together and form clumps.
Human hair clip-in ponytail has a lifespan of 12 months or more, depending on care regimen and frequency of use. Synthetic hair will have a shorter lifespan and are better suited to a limited number of applications.
The pros and cons of human and synthetic ponytails
Pros of human hair include
- Versatility in styling. Human hair clip-in ponytails can be colored, permed, and styled the same way your hair can.
- Texture. Human hair comes in various textures, allowing you to match your hair texture closely.
- Longevity. A human hair clip-in ponytail can last a year or more when used daily when properly cared for.
- Looks natural. Human hair clip-in ponytails are comfortable and can appear extremely natural.
- Unlike synthetic hair, human hair is a one-time purchase that can last more than a year.
Cons of human hair include
- Cost. They are usually more expensive because they are made from human hair.
- Color Change. It is tough to match an identical color when replacing a human hair clip-in ponytail or purchasing a backup of the same design. Human hair of the same hue can differ somewhat from one another because each extension contains hair from multiple persons.
- Fading of Colorwhen exposed to UV light, the color of a human hair clip-in ponytail oxidizes or fades at the ends similar to our hair.
- Fragile. Hair will be damaged if subjected to severe brushing, backcombing, or excessive use of heated styling equipment.
- Weight. Human hair extensions might be heavier than synthetic hair of comparable length and design.
Pros of synthetic ponytails include
- Holds style. Synthetic ponytails will retain their hair pattern no matter the weather.
- A plethora of color options. The sky is the limit with synthetic ponytails when it comes to colors. You can select from a variety of natural hues and a few bold hair colors.
- Inexpensive. Synthetic hair is cheaper than human hair, making it the go-to for people who are on a tight budget. You also do not have to spend money on hair products to make the hair shiny because it already has the plastic fiber shine.
- No maintenance. Since a synthetic ponytail is made of plastic fibers, you don’t have to spend time maintaining the hair. Once it starts to lose its shine and becomes dry in 2-3 months, you can replace them.
Cons of synthetic ponytails include
- Artificial shine. Some low-cost synthetic wigs, usually around $100, can have an artificial gloss that natural hair doesn’t. This feature is a dead giveaway of the hair type.
- Short lifespan. Human hair will last longer than synthetic hair in the market. With everyday use, they normally last 2-3 months.
- Limited versatility. Unless it is a specially designed “heat compatible” synthetic ponytail, synthetic hair cannot be straightened or curled using heated styling products.
- You can’t color it. Recoloring synthetic hair, in general, is not advised, as typical hair color will not stick to the fibers.
- Recurring cost. As mentioned above, synthetic hair is cheaper than human hair, but it is a recurring expense. You will have to purchase synthetic hair every couple of months which can easily cost more than a one-time purchase of human hair.
Human and synthetic Clip In Hair Extensions serve a similar purpose: to provide customers with the desired color and length for their new haircut. However, they differ significantly in features, quality, durability, and price.
Human drawstring ponytail extensions are a good long-term investment if you have accessible cash. Meanwhile, synthetic hair extensions are a better option if you desire a low-maintenance and cost-effective alternative.
If you are looking for the finest hand-crafted drawstring ponytail hair extensions made with 100% virgin Remy hair, head to Indique Hair. Browse through Indique’s extensive collection of human hair extensions to create the look you desire.