Some of the best architectural works of the world are located in India. India has a rich history and many amazing historical monuments that perfectly depict its prosperity and rich heritage. One such example is Red Fort.
It is amongst the few best historical monuments of India which is present in the Indian capital- Delhi. It got its name because of the red stones which were used in building this monument. It is a huge fort with its walls stretched upto 2 km in length.
It was constructed by Shah Jahan in the 17th century, the same Mughal emperor who also built the famous Taj Mahal. It was an important administrative centre during that time as the emperor shifted his capital from the city of Agra to Delhi after the construction work got completed.
It is a beautiful structure with a grand garden, a royal Palace along with some museums and many other attractions. Both Mughal and Persian designs were combined during its construction. It has also got many gates but the most important one where the flag is hoisted every year on 15th August -is the ‘Lahore Gate’.
Some Facts About Red Fort
Now let’s have look at some of the amazing facts about this place.
- In the year 2007, this historical monument of India was included in the list of World Heritage sites by UNESCO and a number of visitors come here every day.
- During the Mughal time, it was famous by the name ‘Qila-E-Mubaraka’ which means ‘the blessed fort’.
- It was actually famous as ‘Lal Quila’ and is still famous by this name, which was later named as Red Fort during the British time.
- World-famous ‘Kohinoor’ diamond was also in this fort which was taken away by the Britishers. They also moved various other historical things from this place which are now present in the museums of England.
- Lahore Gate got its name because of the fact that it faces towards Lahore, now in Pakistan.
If you ever visited this historical place, then remember to try out the things listed below.
- Explore the amazing architectural work, intricate designs and the pavilion area including structures like ‘Diwan-E-Khas’ and ‘Diwan-E-Aam’
- You can soothe yourself by relaxing in the well- maintained and beautiful garden situated there.
- Places like Khas Mahal, Mahal and Mumtaz Mahal will also be a great choice to explore.
- Don’t miss the evening show which is specially conducted for tourists.
- Enjoy exploring the sleeping room, bath area and big halls which will give you an idea about how skilled engineers existed at that time too.
- Try out some of the amazing recipes and you can also go shopping in the markets present nearby.
When To Visit?
There is no such specific time for you to visit. But for your comfort, you can avoid visiting this place during summers as they are really very hot in Delhi. The heat and humidity may ruin your enjoyment. The months between October to March may be the best time for you to explore this amazing place.
How To Reach?
Since Delhi is the capital, there is no such problem in reaching this place. Red Fort is located in the central part of the city. You can easily visit Delhi by airways, railways or roadways and then, can easily reach Red Fort. Cabs are available at the airport which can take you to this place. Metro services are also available and you can also go to the ‘Chandni Chowk’ station from where it is just walking distance. Apart from that, you can also opt for buses or auto rickshaws which will directly take you to this place.
It is open for visitors six days a week- from Tuesday to Sunday remaining closed on Mondays. The visiting time is from early morning to late evening. So you can enjoy the full day with your friends and family.
After visiting the Red Fort, you can also explore various famous monuments of India which are located nearby. You can go to Jama Masjid, Agrasen Baoli, the famous Gurudwara Bangla Sahib and the majestic India Gate. You can also visit Dilli Haat and can buy some souvenirs for your trip.
For your comfort, you can look for a guide who can help you visit this place. He can tell about its history and will make sure that you don’t miss anything and have a memorable experience.
So must visit this excellent piece of architecture whenever you get a chance.