Medical marijuana for insomnia has been discussed as a treatment option for quite some time now. If you have insomnia, get a medical marijuana card at TeleLeaf now!
Read on to know more about how MMJ can help you sleep.
How Medical Marijuana Interacts with the Human Body
Many studies have been conducted to support MMJ as a suitable treatment option for several illnesses and disorders.
Some benefits to using cannabis are as follows:
● Treats Several Neurological Disorders and Mental Illness – Studies have shown that MMJ can be used to treat various mental illnesses such as anxiety, depression and PTSD.
● Treats Neurological Illnesses – Separate studies have shown that it works to relieve the symptoms of neurological disorders like epilepsy, such as a study in 2017 that displayed fewer seizures with subjects who used MMJ compared to those who were given the placebo.
● Muscle Relaxant – Medical marijuana has also been used to treat diseases such as Parkinson’s disease. Using MMJ relieves patients of the disease’s main symptoms, which are composed of tremors throughout the body.
Human Sleep Patterns
Humans naturally have unique sleeping patterns, which may vary depending on their schedule and routine. There are three types of sleeping patterns overall.
● Monophasic Sleeping Pattern – Long hours of sleep throughout the night.
● Biphasic Sleeping Pattern – People usually sleep for at least 5 to 6 hours through the night and take a brief nap during the day.
● Polyphasic Sleeping Pattern – Sleeping for a brief time at least 4 to 6 times a day, with minutes or hours intervals in-between.
Prescription Drugs vs Medical Marijuana for Sleep
A study was conducted in Colorado for the purpose of assessing medical marijuana’s reliability as a treatment option for many health issues.
The pool of participants was composed of 1,000 people who participated in a survey. Among the participants, 84% answered that MMJ for insomnia was helpful and effective.
In addition, 83% have also mentioned that they have stopped using prescription drugs for sleep ever since they began using medical marijuana for insomnia.
Another study in 2017 also reported that 65.2% of 1,500 participants mentioned that they no longer used sleep medication and turned to MMJ for insomnia relief instead.
How Can Medical Marijuana Help Insomnia?
Medical cannabis is said to help people fall asleep faster and stay asleep for longer. It works to restore your natural sleep cycle, which most likely has fallen out of sync.
There are studies that have identified medical marijuana as a primary option to help people sleep.
Extensive research has been performed to back up this claim, including one study that recorded reduced time in falling asleep among 147 participants.
The population of the study consisted of individuals who possessed sleeping problems and those without sleeping problems.
In addition, a separate study about using medical marijuana to treat insomnia has gathered similar results, wherein a majority of the participants reported significant improvements and relief from their symptoms with the help of medical marijuana.
Tips for Using Medical Marijuana to Treat Insomnia
Before proceeding, here are a few tips that you need to know moving forward.
● Use medical marijuana at the right time, preferably at least an hour before bedtime.
● Consult your doctor. All bodies react differently to medications, including MMJ.
● Keep in mind that MMJ can take effect for at least 8 to 12 hours, so consider your plans and schedule beforehand.
With further research and testing, hopefully medical marijuana will become an accessible and natural treatment option for various illnesses.
If you’re having trouble sleeping, then MMJ is worth a try. Reach out to TeleLeaf today for more information or for help applying for a medical marijuana card.