Companies operating commercial vehicles, passengers, or cargo in domestic/international trade must have FMCSA registration and have a USDOT number, including freight brokers. The Safety and Accountability Compliance (CSA) program also uses USDOT numbers and other identification tools to track the participation of commercial vehicles and drivers.

Determine whether you need a USDOT number

The first question you need to answer is whether you should apply for USDOT. Most airlines do this, but some airlines are tax-free. You need a USDOT number. Motorists must register with USDOT. They participate in interstate travel.

·         An emergency vehicle over 10,000 pounds can carry 9 to 15 passengers (including the driver) for compensation

·         Can carry 16 or more passengers (including the driver) without compensation.

You may only need to register in your local jurisdiction (a government agency) instead of submitting an application to USDOT.

·         There are three different USDOT application forms for downloading the relevant USDOT application form or online file. You need to fill in the form suitable for your company. These forms are as follows: MCS-150 (the basic form of almost all operators)

·         MCS-150B (combination of USDOT and HazMat number)

·         MCS-150C (combination of USDOT number and intermodal supplier’s order).

On the online portal of the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Administration, the system will select the correct form for you.

Make sure you have the Essential information you need:

The USDOT application is very simple, but you need to know some basic information about the business. In addition to your name, address, etc., you also need to fill in the following:

·         Company Operation

·         Operation Classification

·         Cargo Classification

·         HazMat Classification (Optional)

·         Number of Vehicles

·         Type of Vehicles

·         Ownership of Vehicles (own, term lease, trip lease)

·         Driver Status (intrastate, interstate, total drivers, total CDL drivers)

Fill out the form, and submit it in US dollars after completing the corresponding documents or submit your For Internet U.S. registration, you must send it to the FMCSA at the following address: FMCSA Registration.

Note: USDOT application number 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE Washington, DC 20590There is no USDOT registration fee.

What should I do if I do not have a credit card? Can I apply online?

No. during the FMCSA registration now uses this information as a digital signature. You must print out the relevant form and send it.

What is an intermodal equipment supplier?

Multimodal transportation equipment refers to equipment used to move goods in various ways. When the cargo leaves the ship and is loaded onto the truck, the truck transports the cargo to the railway warehouse, where it is then loaded onto the train for multimodal transportation. Since 2009, FMCSA registration has extended its regulatory influence to suppliers of multimodal transport equipment, which provide multimodal transport chassis used to transfer goods from one means of transportation to another. The multimodal transport chassis can be pre-loaded with containers and everything needed when the means of transport arrive all you have to do is connect the truck to the chassis. The carrier can move the case to a new location, unpack the case, and then transfer the load to another company. Such multimodal transport chassis and other equipment are usually leased from multimodal transport equipment suppliers.

What are the types of cargo recognized on the MCS-150?

Highway Route Controlled Quantity of Radioactive Material (HRCQ)

·         level 8/8A/8B corrosive material level 9 other hazardous materials,

·         high temperature materials, infectious waste, marine pollutants,

·         sub-hazardous (RQ) hazardous waste, other controlled materials (ORM)

What types of hazardous materials are included in MCS-150?

·         Explosives (explosives/explosions/fires/small explosions, etc.), flammable gas, liquefied gas (LPG), methane gas, non-flammable compressed gas, risk of poisoning by poison inhalation hazard (PIH)

·         Classify as PIH B / C / D, Class 3 / 3A / 3B toxic gas, combustible liquid, combustible liquid, combustible solid, pyrophoric material, wet hazardous substance, oxidant, organic peroxide, infectious substance, toxic liquid, classified as PIH A/B zone.

·         Toxic (liquid, no inhalation hazard), solid toxic radioactive material, controlled radioactive material quantity (HRCQ) 8/8A/8B corrosive substances, 9 other hazardous substances, materials at high temperature, infectious waste, marine pollutants Sub-hazardous (RQ) hazardous waste, and other regulated materials (ORM).

FMCSA adopts the form of system generation created by MCMIS. Visit the FMCSA registration system to update online with your USDOT PIN: