A lot of people do not realize it, but proper identification of an indoor insect is just as important as the process of eliminating them. As a matter of fact, identifying the pests will give you a better chance of getting rid of them. Following the correct procedure, you will have no trouble telling what type of pest that you are dealing with. Find out more about identifying indoor insects below:
Steps To Follow In Identifying Indoor Insects
- Safety and Distancing: The first thing that should be on your mind, when you are trying to identify an indoor insect is your safety. This is because some insects can be very harmful and poisonous. At all times, ensure that there is a good distance between you and these insects. If you have to come too close to identify them, it is best to leave the identification process for later.
- Take A Clear Picture: Once you are sure that there is a safe distance between you and the insect, you can proceed to take pictures. The purpose of the pictures is to help you to take note of the characteristics of the insects, for easier identification. Taking pictures of indoor insects can be very tricky, as they are usually fast movers. Make use of a smartphone or professional camera (if you have one), for the best picture quality.
- Do An Internet Research: Seeing that you are dealing with common insects, there is a very high chance that someone else has dealt with them previously. This is why it is helpful to do an internet research on the indoor insect that you are trying to identify. At this point, the picture that you took of the insect will come in handy. Look for pictures of common insects on the internet, and compare them to the picture that you have. Be sure to look out for distinctive features to properly identify the insect, as a lot of common insects have similar features.
- Confirm The Habitat Of The Insect: The geographical area where a species of common insects are populated, plays a big role in their identification. Once you are sure that you have found a match online, take time to check where the insects typically live. If it does not match your location, you have not properly identified the insect. This will require more research on your part. If the habitat of the insect matches your location, do a double-check to be sure. After confirming the authenticity of your identification, you can contact a pest control company to carry out an extermination exercise. The method of this exercise will depend on the type of insects in your home.
- Contact A Pest Control Company: You will require the services of exterminators, if you identify the insect and detect an infestation. In the same vein, if you are unable to identify the insects in your home after following all the steps, professional help is the best option for you. Be sure to contact a reliable pest control company with a track record of excellent results.
Author Bio: Written by Meghan Hale, a content writer, and editing machine. She is working with PlantSumo. You’ll find me yelling at my dog to stop barking, whether it be at the neighbors or on a long afternoon walk