Aesthetic dentistry is gaining momentum as it is an increasingly popular specialty of dentistry. Among the several aesthetic dental procedures, Invisalign has been gaining traction in correcting dental imperfections. Invisalign is considered the most advanced option for straightening or realigning your teeth. Unlike metal braces, Invisalign are removable and transparent, making them virtually invisible.
To learn more about these aesthetic, and innovative appliances click here.
A comprehensive guide to Invisalign
Invisalign aligners are modern and innovative dental appliances that are available in the form of clear trays. Made up of flexible, and biocompatible plastic, Invisalign aligners aim to correct mild to moderate teeth alignment issues.
These clear trays snugly fit your teeth and are used in several versions that make slight adjustments to move your teeth over the treatment time. Treatment may usually take between 10 to 24 months.
In general, Invisalign can treat the following issues:
- Crooked teeth
- Unwanted space between the teeth (diastema)
Potential benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign aligners are often recommended over metal braces due to the following benefits:
- Aesthetically superior since they are clear aligners
- Are convenient since they are removable appliances
- It is easy to maintain good oral hygiene since they are removable
- Minimal irritation to the surrounding structures
- There are no diet restrictions since they can be removed while eating
The procedure involved
The procedure for Invisalign fabrication is as follows:
- The treatment usually begins with a thorough oral examination to assess your teeth’ alignment and soft tissues.
- Your dentist will then take an impression of your mouth to create a working model.
- The lab will fabricate your customized clear aligner trays, ensuring they fit securely over your teeth.
- Your dentist will fix the aligner trays, and give you all the instructions and precautions to be followed for successful treatment.
Caring for Invisalign
You are expected to follow proper oral hygiene to ensure a successful treatment. Some common tips to keep in mind include:
- Wear the aligners for 20 to 22 hours
- Remove your aligners while brushing and eating
- Clean your aligner trays with unscented antibacterial soap with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Always store the aligners in their case when removed to prevent losing them
- Do not expose the aligners to extreme hot or cold temperatures
Invisalign clear aligners can live up to their hype and be worth your money. However, they are not meant to be used for everyone, especially those with severe orthodontic problems. Discuss your goals, paying capacity, and maintenance with your dental professional, to get the most out of this orthodontic treatment.