- Erectile dysfunction: Men cannot maintain or achieve a normal erection in response to an intimate stimulus. The majority of men after the age of 50 years suffer from this dysfunction. And the number is increasing in western countries rapidly. However, this condition can still happen in young men with age below 40 years. Causes for erectile dysfunction could be physical factors. Like obesity, hypertension, systemic diseases, neurological deficit, or psychological issues like tension stress anxiety, and depression.
- Depression: It is a psychological term define as a persistent low mood, lack of confidence, low self-esteem, and pessimistic approach towards life. Chronic diseases are associated with alternating bouts of depression and anxiety and the same is the case with erectile dysfunction. However surplus the anxiety in men with erectile dysfunction as shown by researches.
Signs and symptoms of depression:
- Unexplained weight changes
- Insomnia or hypersomnia
- Appetite changes
- Loss of interest
- Suicidal thoughts
- Demotivational phrases
- Constant jealousy from others
- Hallucinations or delusions in rare cases
Depression and erectile dysfunction in one picture:
It is seen that it causes erectile dysfunction but the situation here is vice versa. As erectile dysfunction can also cause a rise in a depressing mood.
Research studies showed that 27% of individuals with erectile dysfunction prefer not to talk to a doctor due to embarrassment. And 60% of men report having a severe form. Along with erectile dysfunction and 40% of them were taking medications to treat depression as well. These reports clearly state the high incidence of depression in men with erectile dysfunction. But what is the reason for such a high ratio.
Reason for Depression associated with erectile dysfunction:
Men do not want to disclose their private life to their doctors and even do not want to talk to their partners regarding the problem they are facing. The one and common reason for this could be embarrassment or the fear of getting blame for the situation.
It a general observation, that having a problem you are unable to discuss with anyone. Which makes the situation worst as you cannot find a solution to your problem without discussing it with an expert. This dilemma causes the release of stress hormone depressing the mood.
Hormonal regulation of mood needs a balance between cortisol and epinephrine. But this equilibrium is disturbed owing to a persistent low mood called depression.
Signs of depression associated with erectile dysfunction:
A person having erectile dysfunction and also suffering from depression is present with the following signs,
- Lack of sexual desires
- Lack of pleasure
- Increase in the incidence of erection failure when stressed
- Feeling guilty
- Frustration, anger, panic attacks and anxiety may occur at the same time.
- Talking about the topic makes you uncomfortable and you find an escape from situations concerning intimacy.
Dealing with depression and erectile dysfunction:
Fortunately, both these conditions are curable through counseling and medications. The management of depression can be done without taking medicines, using cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), there are still medicines available to treat depression. For treating erectile dysfunction a class of drugs call it Phosphodiesterase type-5 (PDE-5) inhibitors is used such as Viagra, and Cialis. Another class of drugs called Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRI) is also available to treat erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Dapoxetine Australia is a short-acting SSRI drug for treating erectile dysfunction and is available with the trading name Priligy. To buy Dapoxetine online, click this website.
The medicines prescribed for treating depression and erectile dysfunction are according to the individual patient’s condition and no drug should be taken without a doctor’s consultation.