The recent surge of mobile app development within 2020 alone has displayed that almost every mobile user owning a smartphone tends to spend 87% of their time online on mobile applications. Since mobile app development has become a steadily growing field within software production, many developers are highly interested in developing apps these days. The traditional native app development has come to a sudden halt as mobile application development companies rule the markets. The two primary platforms for mobile app development are Android and iOS systems. However, before choosing between the two, it is necessary to learn about the pros and cons both platforms have to offer to help a company make the best choice for developing mobile applications.
iOS App Development: Benefits And Drawbacks
- Close-Source Code: Apple does not publicize its source code to the mobile app development company. This means that iPhone users cannot modify their apple operating system themselves, but this feature prevents hackers to a great extent from infiltrating the iOS.
- Apple Ecosystem: This is both a curse and a boon for iOS users. Despite the obvious advantage of easy file transfer within an ecosystem, it can be cumbersome for some to afford the entire ecosystem. As for developers, it can be troublesome to develop applications for all devices and not just for targeted smartphones.
- Performance: iOS mobile development is high in demand because the application often outdoes android applications in speed, reliability, and easy to adapt models. Developers often deal with a minute number of bugs within the system while creating detailed guidelines for the development of user interfaces for their apps to deliver an excellent user experience.
- Customization: iOS system restricts one’s ability to add features if an application requires interaction with third-party software. Moreover, due to their closed-source code, customization with the app’s interface is not possible.
- App Release: Because Apple Store has more strict guidelines and demands than Google Store, a mobile application can be rejected if deemed useless or irrelevant regardless of it not violating any rules of the platform.
Android App Development: Benefits And Drawbacks
- Coding: Android app development companies tend to rely on smoother development platforms such as Java rather than Windows, macOS, and Linux. Since Java is extremely versatile than all the other applications mentioned, it allows developers to formulate android apps regardless of the operating system. Further, the programming language can also be used by website development companyas well.
- Flexibility: Further, Google is much more lenient towards developers wanting to release their apps on the Google Play Store than on iOS systems. Moreover, developers have to pay a comparatively low one-time registration price in comparison to Apple Store registration.
- Fragmentation And Work-Environment: Lastly, the fragmentation/ diversification seen within android systems is broader in android development than in Apple. Androids can now run on tablets, TVs, car audio systems, etc. Moreover, the android studio development system not only provides automatic code formatting but also provides easy navigation features, smart coding analysis, etc.
- Open-Source Code: Android tends to publicize its source code to app developers because of the increasing number of android variants available within the market to millions of users. Open-source code exposes the mobile applications to several security threats because the users can change the application code easily and there is no guaranteed filtration of threats within the system.
- Flexibility Enables Security Threats: As the google play store supports millions of mobile applications than the Apple Play store, it becomes extremely convenient for hackers to post scamming applications onto the platform which becomes a major security threat to the users. Moreover, this is harmful to mobile applications as their duplicates can easily be circulated within the market.
- Manufacturer: Since there are several variants of androids with a different price range within the market, there is no guarantee that all manufacturers are using the same hardware, thus security becomes a concerning issue.
Which Platform Should Be Chosen And Why?
- Cross-Platform Development: While iOS applications can only be installed on apple gadgets, android applications can operate on smartphones and other gadgets from different manufacturers. Thus, a cross-platform development framework allows one to create an application suited for both iOS and Android cost-effectively. The benefits of this include:
- Reduction in development cost
- Allowed to hire dedicated developers
- Time-effective as debugging on every platform will not be required
- Reduced hiring cost for hiring separate iOS and android app developers.
- Demographic Information: Apple tends to dominate the regions with higher income flow and developed economies, while android is dominant in other regions due to its affordability. Therefore, iPhone app development company will be more profitable if the target audience resides within western countries, while eastern countries are a more beneficial market for android app development.
- Monetization: Despite having a smaller iOS user base, high-quality iOS apps are much more valuable and bought more often than paid android apps. Since every iOS user tends to make purchases on the Apple store instead of installing free applications, it is more beneficial to develop iOS apps than Android apps (where the case is the opposite). But if the mobile application is free, then it is more suited for android than iOS users.
- Development Costs: The development cost of iOS and android broadly depends on variance and the programming language being used. Because iOS applications have a limited range for the devices they can work on, it is easier to monitor them, fix bugs, and spend less money on development. However, since android apps are designed to run on a variety of devices, it is more time and money-consuming to fix bugs and develop these applications. Moreover, Swift programming is thought to be much easier than Java, so it is profitable to stick to iOS app development altogether than Android unless the application is made to be used on various devices.
Some factors which should be considered while choosing between Android and iOS development include target audience (cross-platform development and demographic information) and budget (monetization and development costs) as mentioned above. Apart from this, many other factors can come into play, but the choice is solely based on your requirements. Although there are many androids vs iOS development differences, both operating systems tend to dominate the market and appeal to extremely large audiences within the smartphone market.
I am Founder & CEO of Dev Technosys, a global ranking software Development Company helping enterprises and governments with Digital and Agile transformation using open technologies. With offices in the UK, UAE, USA, New Zeland, Ireland, Australia and India, Dev Technosys works with organizations across various sectors including insurance, banking, health, gaming, real estate, education, media & entertainment, life sciences, and governments.