Generally, a SharePoint beginner should gain more knowledge to unlock all the benefits of the platform. Are you focusing on the right resources? Have you done enough research? What are the SharePoint tips for beginners? Being a longstanding enterprise-level platform, it has great capabilities. The only thing standing in your way is grabbing the right opportunities.
What is SharePoint?
It is a browser-based collaboration and document management platform offered by Microsoft. This Content Management System allows building a centralized password-protected space. This helps in sharing, uploading, and managing.
SharePoint is a web-based intranet that helps improve the organization’s effectiveness by streamlining data management. The Windows SharePoint Services helps to provide basic Content Services. It offers access to check in, check-out, and versioning functionality. There are additional functions like Shared calendars, email alerts, reminders, and more.
The Microsoft Office SharePoint Server helps to add an additional feature in the WSS layer and end-user. The data is stored in the SQL database. There is a wide range of modules to handle different business scenarios. There are diverse applications like Collaboration, Records Management, Workflow, Document Management, Personalization, and many complex metadata models.
What are the unique features of SharePoint?
- Security: It supports the users and groups. They might be granted and denied access to various segments of the SharePoint websites. Designated users are allowed permission to add, modify, or delete the website.
- Recycle Bin: Deleted objects and data are held in the Recycle Bin to be restored. SharePoint also supports an Undo feature for the data.
- End-User Maintenance: SharePoint is used to maintain the users with the intervention of IT departments. Although the web pages are not much flexible when compared to other web pages. SharePoint development can add or remove the features, change fonts, colors, headings, and more attributes.
- Versioning: SharePoint automatically maintains the history of the version in the objects and data. The changes can be rolled back at any stage and at any time. The individual users must have permission to roll back the changes.
- Alerts: Users and groups can get alerted about the regular updates on SharePoint. Whenever the documents are added, changed, or deleted, you will get an email message. If they have the right permissions, you have the ability to manage their alerts.
- Other Features: Every SharePoint user has access to several features like task lists, announcements, and calendars that they can remove or turn off.
Tips for the SharePoint Platform as a Collaborative Tool
Collaboration and communication is the core form of success for the business. Some organizations are distributed among various locations and time zones. So it might not be easy to share documents and data.
Remote work has increased the challenges for companies. It is important to get the best tool for every job. The SharePoint online for beginners might be your answer, but it might be a hassle if you do not unlock its best sections. Let us look at some benefits of using SharePoint as a Collaboration tool:
1. Team-Only Access
This is one of the primary features of SharePoint. Unless the admin restricted any employee to create a SharePoint instance. The employee becomes the admin and can decide who can participate and set their permissions.
Only the members have authorized access to the documents on the SharePoint server. This gives your employee the flexibility to have a SharePoint instance for the departments, teams, enterprise, divisions, and more just for themselves. The team leaders can adjust access to the server depending on the flow of your work.
2. Central Location
SharePoint has a central virtual location for the team members to meet. They have the accessibility to chat, set up tasks, video conferences, and compare calendars. It allows exchanging email, which is exclusive to the SharePoint server. There is the addition of a mobile app, which makes collaborating teams available from multiple locations effortlessly.
3. Simultaneous Editing
The SharePoint storage has the same synchronization protocols as the Microsoft OneDrive. So every document edit is saved instantaneously and updated in the cloud. From here, the update is spread across all devices and workstations in the network.
Beyond the storage, SharePoint servers more than a single team to simultaneously access, annotate, or edit the document. Many team members can collaborate by breaking down the sections.
4. Set-Up Tasks
In many cases, the collaborative team has a specific goal to create a new product, develop an app, or provide an efficient method to work. To meet the goals, you need to perform specific tasks which need specific tools. Such tools help to set up individual tasks and assign them to team members.
You might want to see the tasks you are required to perform and other members. An effective and efficient collaboration must inform the team members about the tasks assigned. More often, some tasks cannot be started without completing the other. This reveals that SharePoint provides dependent relations in the entire team.
5. Shared Chat, Publish, Calendar, and other tools
Without a second thought, SharePoint is an effective collaborative tool. Productivity is added to the application, which simplifies and enhances the ability of your team. As an organization, you can share a calendar, plan their workload, look at document progress, and use chats.
How to Use SharePoint: Basics for Beginners
Tip 1: Uploading Files
It might be easier to drag and drop files from your platform to the SharePoint document library. There are two methods to upload files:
The First One:
- Open a SharePoint folder where you need to add the document
- Open the File Explorer on the computer
- Drag and Drop files from the Explorer to SharePoint
The Second One:
- In the SharePoint folder where you need to upload the document, click on “Upload.”
- In the pop-up box, click “File” and choose the file(s) you want to upload and then “Open.”
Tip 2: Open Documents
To open a document in SharePoint online, you require clicking on the document name. It will be opened in the Office online. From there, you choose to edit online or click on the “Edit in Word” to open it in Microsoft Word and edit in the application.
Tip 3: Collaborating Tools
SharePoint makes it effortless to collaborate on a document with teams. Once you open a document, you can see the number of people that are currently working on the document in the top-right corner of the screen.
When multiple people make changes in the document simultaneously, you can see the changes in real-time. If you want to invite someone to edit the document, just click on the “Share” button and easily share.
Get Started Today!
As a SharePoint Beginner, this is the right time to start with SharePoint and improve the productivity in your organization. Being an extremely versatile CMS, it is easier to enhance your content for a better experience. We gave you tips and managed your documents in the most efficient method.