A dry and itching scalp may be due to scalp psoriasis. Scalp psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that results in an itchy, scaly, and flaky scalp with redness. It happens when your body overproduces new skin cells in a short time span which makes our immune system target our normal skin cells.
As there is no cure for Psoriasis, it can be a real challenge to live with it but there are some exclusively formulated shampoos you can use to contain this condition and find relief. Most of these products are only available by prescription but there are some very good over-the-counter shampoos for this as well. After extensive research, we have found that some shampoos are better for your scalp psoriasis than others.
Here are 4 great shampoos for scalp psoriasis:
DermaZinc® Shampoo for Chronic Skin Diseases
Recommended by dermatologists for its anti-flaking and anti-fungal properties, the DermaZinc shampoo is the perfect choice to prevent and treat scalp psoriasis and other skin disorders on the scalp.
With 2% zinc pyrithione as an active ingredient, this shampoo is one of the best anti-itching and anti-flaking shampoos. It can stop your scalp psoriasis before it gets any worse and provides much-needed relief from irritation.
MG217 Medicated Conditioning Coal Tar Formula Shampoo
An important ingredient that helps contain scalp psoriasis is coal tar and the best shampoo with coal tar as the active ingredient is the MG217 medicated conditioning shampoo. Not only the MG217 medicated conditioning shampoo fight itchiness and scaling, but it also does so with a pleasant fragrance, a rare feature in coal tar shampoos. Another thing to note is that while some other shampoos are suitable for mild psoriasis, this shampoo with its 3% coal tar formation is suitable to contain severe psoriasis and is also recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation.
Suitable for all hair types, one downside is that the coal tar in it can increase the chances of sunburn after use. Another downside is that the consistency may not always be pleasant to certain people.
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo-Stubborn Itch
A more gentle option with coal tar as an active ingredient is the Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo. With a 1% coal tar formula, it is the best scalp psoriasis shampoo for daily use. This is a budget-friendly option, and its users are highly positive about its effects on their scalp condition.
Neutrogena T/Gel can be used for most hair types but should be avoided for curly and dry hair. This is due to the presence of sodium laureth sulfate, which causes dryness in hair.
Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo Plus Conditioner
A more moisturizing option for treating scalp psoriasis, the Dermarest Psoriasis Medicated Shampoo is an excellent choice endorsed by dermatologists and recognized by the National Psoriasis Foundation. One of the best shampoos for scalp psoriasis, its key ingredients include salicylic acid and zinc complex, which are effective for easing the irritation caused by the condition. Many people consider it the best shampoo to treat psoriasis due to it being fragrance-free.
Suitable for all types of hair, the only downside of this product is that it contains nuts as an ingredient, which can cause allergies for some people.
What Should I Look For When Buying A Scalp Psoriasis Shampoo?
When looking for a scalp psoriasis shampoo, there are 3 ingredients that one should specifically lookout for. These 3 ingredients are also endorsed by the National Psoriasis Foundation:
- Hydrocortisone: This is a corticosteroid (a mild tropical steroid) applied to reduce irritation and inflammation on the skin. Psoriasis shampoos include it to reduce the irritation caused by psoriasis on your scalp.
- Coal Tar: One of the most efficient agents against psoriasis, coal tar helps with lowering the irritation of scalp psoriasis by decreasing cell growth and facilitating the shedding of dead skin cells on the scalp.
- Salicylic Acid: A beta hydoroxy acid, Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent. It’s used for exfoliating the skin and helps to soften the scales formed in scalp psoriasis. Once softened these thick scales are removed without much pain.
- Zinc Pyrithione: Zinc pyrithione is a coordinated zinc complex used in shampoos for anti-flaking. It has antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties.
Remember These 3 Things!
- Even the best shampoos for scalp psoriasis are meant to be used as directed by a dermatologist. Such products can cause harmful side effects or allergies and it is advised always to consult your doctor before use.
- These products are medicated and are meant to treat your scalp psoriasis. This means that these shampoos should be applied gently to the roots of the hair to treat your scalp condition. The use of moisturizing conditioners is also endorsed.
- While we have tried to suggest the best shampoos for scalp psoriasis based on credible insights from experts, the best way to find out if a product is safe for use is to consult your dermatologist.